Wednesday, November 19, 2008

To Be ADHD or not to be?? What is the diagnosis......

Anyone who knows me and knows me well - has heard the drama stories and tales of my children's antics, arguments, and milestones as well as my sometimes ridiculous and sarcastic responses, retaliations, and meltdowns.

I have two children, ages 6 and 9. My husband and I adopted our children at the ages of 2 and 4 coming from a neglectful and possibly, highly likely abusive home. After years of trying to have children biologically and not succeeding we decided to pursue adoption through foster care and were blessed to be matched with A & B.

Now imagine being at work one day, life as normal as it always is and you receive a call letting you know that two children, ages 2 and 4 have become available and will be at your house in three hours. Now continue to imagine that although you knew that this day could possibly come there is no way to prepare because you never know what you will get as far as age, gender, clothes sizes, likes/dislikes, or physical/mental condition. Stretch that imagination a little further.....oh just forget it- it is unimaginable. To this day I still cannot tell you exactly how I reacted - my co-workers probably could but myself I was numb. I do remember going shopping and aimlessly picking things off the shelves and walking out of Kmart spending an ungodly amount of money on god knows what, I do remember calling my dad, mother in law, mother, brothers and sisters enlisting their help to be at my house when they arrived because what the hell was I going to do....And I definitely remember them arriving - this beautiful, little, girl with the biggest brown eyes you ever did see; and her brother who was shy, handsome and had piercing crystal blue eyes that I was immediately jealous of.

So what does any of this have to do with the title??? Well - although it has been the best of times since they have come into our lives it has also been the worst of times. I feel awful saying that - knock it up to inexperience, overly sensitive parents, poor parenting skills, lack of patience, lack of discipline - whatever makes you feel better about me saying that. Fact of the matter is it has been a hard road.

SO - flash forward four years of ineffective discipline, arguments, school years filled with constant nagging about homework, disrespectful and inappropriate behavior, schools calling regarding lack of participation, stubbornness, noise making, constant interruptions and the famous last words -"I forgot".

Today both B & A had their annual well child physicals and much to my dismay my pediatrician refers me to a psychologist to have not one, but both of my children tested for ADHD. My reaction is one of relief and horror.

Relief - Well, maybe it isn't all our poor parenting! And what drug can I give my kid to fix it?????

Horror - What the hell is going on?? And I am not medicating my kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then to top it off when mentioned to a couple people their reactions were not very supportive - I mean seriously these people know me - do they really think I am not going to question the psychologist to death before I even consider giving my child medication - I mean for god sake, their chicken pox vaccines today were researched to the hilt before I ok'd the injection!!!!!

Regardless - tomorrow I will make the appointments and we will go from there. Keep your fingers crossed for good news - right now I am not sure what that even is!!!!!

No comments: